Thursday, July 23, 2009

humility

Matthew 23, Acts 23

Jesus condemned the Pharisees and teachers of the law for two fundamental problems: pride and hypocrisy.  I think most people are consciously aware of most of their own hypocrisy, but pride is so stealth!

As I consider Paul's experience of being kept in prison, though he did no wrong, I am reminded of Christ's own experience.  I can only imagine the humility gained through such an experience.  This humility comes not from internal self depreciation, but from growing awareness of the Lordship of Christ - His authority, power, and presence:

A 23:11 That night the Lord appeared to Paul and said, "Be encouraged, Paul. Just as you have been a witness to me here in Jerusalem, you must preach the Good News in Rome as well."

Heavenly Father, thank you for teaching me through your Word.  Lord, please forgive me for the pride and hypocrisy in my life.  Lord, I need your deliverance.  Please deliver me from being proud of my religious exercises, like the Pharisees were.  I pray that I will tithe, pray, read the Word, and exercise my Spiritual Gifts so that I can know you more and advance your Kingdom - for your glory, not mine.  Lord, please clean my mind and heart so that I will be a pure vessel for you to flow through.  And as you allow trial and testing, may I have a proper attitude of seeking you and trusting you so that I will grow in humility.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my example and source of humility.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment