Monday, July 27, 2009

ironies

Matthew 27, Acts 27

I am amazed a the the saturation of irony every time I read the account of Christ's betrayal, arrest, trial, torture, and crucifixion:
  • Caiaphas, the high priest, demands Jesus "in the name of the living God" to tell if He is the Son of God.  Of course He is the Son of God, and He is God!  So, they demanded Him to swear by Himself.  Then, when He gave a true testimony, the high council screamed "Blasphemy!" as if they knew the truth.  Can you imagine screaming in God's face that He is not God?!  It is especially disturbing because these guys were supposedly the experts on knowing God.
  • With a guilty confession, Judas returned the 30 pieces of silver, but the leading priests wouldn't put it in the treasury because it was "blood money".  Somehow they thought it reasonable to murder Jesus, but it was wrong to use the returned money because it bought His murder.
  • The leading priests convince the people to ask Pilot to release Barabbas and crucify Jesus.  What?!
  • Most of the people observing the crucifixion were mocking Jesus and suggesting that if He was really the Son of God to climb down of the cross.  Can you imagine the absurdity of the creation mocking the Creator?!  Can you imagine the magnitude of the love and patience of Christ to obey the will of the Father and give up His spirit on the cross so that the wrath of God's perfect justice could be absorbed by the only possible solution?!
Heavenly Father, your mercy is tremendous, and your love is extravagant.  As I consider the passion of Christ, I am amazed at how you could be patient enough to delay our punishment of sin and how you could love us so much to sacrifice your own Son to absorb our punishment.  Father, may I live in response to your love.  Please fill me with your love, and use me to pour your love into others.  May you be glorified in my life today.  Lord, may my attitude be the same of Jesus Christ - that my life is a sacrifice to you and that you will spend me as you choose - in accomplishing your good will.  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight O God, my Rock and my Redeemer.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my holy Sacrifice.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment