Friday, July 31, 2009

Deity and Lordship of Christ

Mark 3, Romans 3

I slept a little later this morning, so I drove to a bus park-and-ride that is a little further south to save some time.  I got there about 30 seconds too late, so I read a little of the Scriptures as I waited.  Well, the Lord in His Sovereignty, answered my prayer this morning to give me opportunity to share the Gospel because He sat me down next to Mark, a Jehovah's Witness.  I wasn't in the seat two minutes before Mark handed me a pamphlet about the supremacy of the name Jehovah.  Within a few minutes of talking to this guy, I was amazed at how terribly deceived and confused he was.  He would ask me a question, I would give the Biblical response, and then he would try to give a rebuttal, but he would start stammering mid-sentence and then say in exasperation, "Oh, I forgot what I was going to say!".  I had my Bible open, and he called my attention to a few verses in Psalm and Revelation, but it became clear to me in our discussion that his most fundamental confusion was regarding the Deity of Christ.  He stated that Jesus was just a man, but I kindly corrected him.  I opened to Matthew 28 (which I read recently) and pointed to verse 9 where Jesus accepted worship from Mary and Mary.  This proves that He is deity!

I resumed my reading when I got to my office, and with the aforementioned conversational context, I was especially impressed by the Lordship of Jesus:

11 And whenever those possessed by evil spirits caught sight of him, the spirits would throw them to the ground in front of him shrieking, "You are the Son of God!"

The Deity of Christ and His Lordship over Creation is so profound that evil spirits in His presence are compelled to confess His identity!  It's like a violent knee-jerk reaction!  I wish I had thought to read Philippians 2:9-11 to Mark:

 9 Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
      and gave him the name above all other names,
 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
      in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
      to the glory of God the Father.

I think the Lord gave me this idea:  The Father and the Spirit reveal the person and work of the Son so that the Son can reveal the person and work of the Father and the Spirit.  It all hinges on Christ!

Heavenly Father, thank you for revealing the person of Jesus to me.  Jesus, I praise you for your Lordship over creation.  I humbly bow before you.  Lord, please use me as your servant.  Holy Spirit, please empower me to boldly preach the truth of the Gospel, and please continue to use me to set people free from captivity.  I ask in the powerful and supreme name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment