Wednesday, August 12, 2009

according to the Holy Spirit

Mark 15, Romans 15

As I was reading about all of the torture and suffering that Jesus endured before and during His crucifixion, it occurred to me that He had only a few hours before prayed that God would give Him a way out.  But Jesus ultimately committed Himself to spiritual obedience and submitted His life to the will of the Father.  It was that spiritual time in prayer with the Father in the garden that prepared Him for sanctification to the Father's will, which empowered Him to stay on the cross as the people mocked Him to come down.  This is a great challenge to me to be faithful in prayer and sincerely seek the Father's will.

I have recently been noticing the significance of the Holy Spirit - in the Scriptures and in my own experience.  I see that I need to grow in knowing and experiencing God in Three Persons: sonship of the Father; brotherhood of Christ; spirithood of the Holy Spirit; and servant of Him/Them.  Not three separate relationships, but communion with God the Trinity.

R 15:13May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. ... 15... because of the grace given me by God 16to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles in the priestly service of the gospel of God, so that the offering of the Gentiles may be acceptable, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. 17In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God.

Heavenly Father, you are so amazing.  I cannot understand you, but by your grace you continue to reveal yourself to me.  Lord God, I want to know you as Father, Son, and Spirit.  I want to worship you, love you, and serve you.  Dear Father, thank you for your love you showed by sacrificing your only Son so that I may be adopted into your Heavenly Family.  Jesus Christ, thank you for the love you showed through the pain you endured.  Thank you for the model of holy devotion to our Father.  Holy Spirit, thank you for your love that you are with me and in me and through me - working to bring me closer to you and glorify the Father, Son, and Spirit.  Lord, please teach me to walk with you closer today.  Let me hear your voice, and teach me to obey you in love.  Please fill me with joy, peace, and hope.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment