Thursday, August 6, 2009

Deity of Christ

Mark 9, Romans 9

I had a conversation with Herb on the bus today about the Deity of Christ.  He asked me a good question, "What is the theological consequence of Jesus being only human?"  I need to chew on that one for a while.  I looked up several passages that confirm the Deity of Christ, but those don't really answer his question.

"Coincidentally," here some verses from my reading this morning that point to Christ's identity:

M 9:1Jesus went on to say, "I tell you the truth, some standing here right now will not die before they see the Kingdom of God arrive in great power!" 2 Six days later Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up a high mountain to be alone. As the men watched, Jesus' appearance was transformed, 3 and his clothes became dazzling white, far whiter than any earthly bleach could ever make them.

R 9:5 Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are their ancestors, and Christ himself was an Israelite as far as his human nature is concerned. And he is God, the one who rules over everything and is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

Heavenly Father, I certainly don't understand how you can be distinct persons within the Godhead and at the same time be perfectly unified, but I trust that you are, and I praise you because you are so amazing!  Lord Jesus, I praise you and worship you because you are God, and I thank you because you died on the cross to pay the penalty for my sin.  Holy Spirit, I praise you for raising Christ from the dead, and I thank you for filling me with your resurrection power.  Lord, please help me live in you and experience your awesome person.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, fully God and fully man.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment