Friday, August 7, 2009

our only hope

Mark 10, Romans 10

As I read the account of the blind beggar (Bartimaeus), I tried to empathize his experience.  I don't know how old he was or how long he had been begging, but I'm sure he had come to terms with the permanence of his situation.  But one day, I am sure that he overheard people talking about Jesus and his miracles.  I try to imagine how he would have felt - a sudden pang of hope, but at the same time, a deep grief for his inability to go to Jesus and be healed.  So it is not hard for me to imagine the intensity of his cry to the Lord:

M 10:47 When Bartimaeus heard that Jesus of Nazareth was nearby, he began to shout, "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!"  48 "Be quiet!" many of the people yelled at him.   But he only shouted louder, "Son of David, have mercy on me!"

He was probably screaming so hard that he was spitting.  His face was red with ferver that cannot be manufactured; it is a gut-level response to the realization that Jesus Christ is your only hope.

And when Jesus called him over, he pushed away anything between them:

49 When Jesus heard him, he stopped and said, "Tell him to come here."   So they called the blind man. "Cheer up," they said. "Come on, he's calling you!" 50 Bartimaeus threw aside his coat, jumped up, and came to Jesus.

Heavenly Father, by faith I come to you through the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ.  Lord God Almighty, I want to see you.  As you opened Bartimaeus's eyes to see physically, will you open my spiritual eyes to see you.  I want to know you and commune with you.  Lord, I want to be in harmony with your will - cooperating with you as you accomplish your good plan.  Lord, I need you, and I love you.  Please have mercy on me and heal me.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, the Son of David, because He is my only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment