Monday, August 31, 2009

faith and mercy

Luke 18, 2 Corinthians 2

Early last Wednesday morning, the oldest son of a couple in our church had a bad car accident and was ejected from the vehicle.  We went to the hospital last night, and I was amazed to see how the Body of Christ is ministering to them.  Their son was in a medically induced coma for several days, and today the doctors are beginning to try to "wake him up".  Mark made a powerful statement in the waiting room, "God's promise is that He will never leave us, not that He will give us our son back."  I was blown away by his realistic faith.  At the same time, they continue to ask the Lord to completely heal their son.  I was encouraged by reading the story of the persistent widow this morning.  The Lord is good, and He loves to give good gifts to His children.  He especially desires to give us the Kingdom.  I continue to pray that the Lord will work so powerfully in this young man's life to restore Him and use Him to advance the Kingdom.

I am also impressed with the simplicity of faith, repentance, and mercy:

L 18:13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, 'O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.' 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God.

Heavenly Father, you are so good and kind.  You are so patient and merciful.  Thank you for humbling me with the cross and leading me to faith in Christ.  Now Lord, will you continue to reveal yourself to me so that I can know you and love you with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  Lord, I want to bless you and obey you.  Please teach me to delight in you and walk in your ways so that others will know you and see how good you are.  Lord, teach me to deny myself, take up my cross daily, and follow you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment