Monday, August 3, 2009

slaves of righteousness

Mark 6, Romans 6

I think the American culture is very similar to the people in Nazareth:

M 6:3 Then they scoffed, "He's just a carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon. And his sisters live right here among us." They were deeply offended and refused to believe in him. ... 5 And because of their unbelief, he couldn't do any miracles among them except to place his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6 And he was amazed at their unbelief.

and I think I am very similar to the Twelve Disciples after Jesus fed the 5000, walked on water, and calmed the storm:

51 Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed, 52 for they still didn't understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in.

As I consider my purpose, I find such a clear mission statement in Romans 6:

17 Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. 18 Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living. 19 Because of the weakness of your human nature, I am using the illustration of slavery to help you understand all this. Previously, you let yourselves be slaves to impurity and lawlessness, which led ever deeper into sin. Now you must give yourselves to be slaves to righteous living so that you will become holy.

It is a conscious act of the spirit and will to be a slave to righteousness.  Sin is a deceptive and cruel slave-master and will trick you into slavery and isolation quicker than quick.  But, Righteousness is an honest and loving slave-master, and (with respect to sanctification) He only takes volunteers.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the Lord Jesus Christ and his perfect Righteousness.  Lord, please forgive me for an unbelieving and hard heart.  Please soften my heart and give me faith.  Lord, may I be a loyal and dedicated slave to Righteousness because you are such a kind Master.  Holy Spirit, please teach me to walk with you today, for the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ and so that others may know His tender love.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, Righteousness Himself.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment