Monday, August 24, 2009

shine the Light!

Luke 11, 1 Corinthians 11

Yesterday, after teaching about the first seven deacons (Acts 6), I told Brandi about my frustration with our congregation's confusion on the roles of elders and deacons.  She challenged me to do something about it instead of complaining, so I sent a very nice email this morning, and I hope this will open up more dialogue on the subject.

After reading 1 Corinthians 11:17-34, I sent an email to our lead pastor asking if we could celebrate the Lord's Supper more frequently.  It seems like an important aspect of our corporate relationship with Christ.

I confess that I am a heretic and a hypocrite, but God is transforming me more and more into the image of Christ, and I realize that I can't wait until I'm perfect to start shining (because then I will be dead, and it will be too late to have any effect on earth).  So, you start now and ask for grace:

L 11:33 "No one lights a lamp and then hides it or puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house. 34 "Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. But when it is bad, your body is filled with darkness. 35 Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. 36 If you are filled with light, with no dark corners, then your whole life will be radiant, as though a floodlight were filling you with light."

Today is Brandi's first day of school, and I am praying that she will shine the Light of Christ to the people that she comes in contact with.

Heavenly Father, fill me with your light.  Lord, please purify me and mold me more into the image of Christ.  Please mature me and draw me into a closer walk with you.  Please use me to build up our congregation and the whole Body of Christ.  I pray that I will reflect your glory and that people will desire to see you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment