Monday, August 17, 2009

dynamic filling and power of the Holy Spirit

Luke 4, 1 Corinthians 4

I believe that when a person places his/her faith in Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit immediately makes eternal (static) residence in that individual.  But I also believe that it is necessary for a Believer to be continuously (dynamically) filled with the Holy Spirit to be empowered to be obedient and produce fruit.

L 4:1 Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, 2 where he was tempted by the devil for forty days. ... 14 Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit's power. Reports about him spread quickly through the whole region. 15 He taught regularly in their synagogues and was praised by everyone. ...
18 "The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
      for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor.
   He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released,
      that the blind will see,
   that the oppressed will be set free,
      19 and that the time of the Lord's favor has come."
... 36 Amazed, the people exclaimed, "What authority and power this man's words possess! Even evil spirits obey him, and they flee at his command!"

Indeed, the Apostle Paul summarizes:

1 Cor 4:20 For the Kingdom of God is not just a lot of talk; it is living by God's power.

Unfortunately, here in the US, I think most people think Christianity is a bunch of talk, because most Believers are not living by God's power.  We concede ourselves to calculated rhetoric and warm-fuzzy music.  If we were continually filled with the Holy Spirit and conduits of His power, then there would be plenty of proof of the Lord's miraculous goodness.

1 Cor 2:1 When I first came to you, dear brothers and sisters, I didn't use lofty words and impressive wisdom to tell you God's secret plan. 2 For I decided that while I was with you I would forget everything except Jesus Christ, the one who was crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness—timid and trembling. 4 And my message and my preaching were very plain. Rather than using clever and persuasive speeches, I relied only on the power of the Holy Spirit. 5 I did this so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.

Heavenly Father, please examine me and show me what is holding you back from using me.  Lord, I want to be totally devoted to you.  I want to be continually filled with your Holy Spirit and constantly walking in the authority of Christ.  Lord, I realize that this will necessarily involve conflict with the enemy, but Lord, you are mighty to save!  You have already won the victory, but please empower me to be an Overcomer with you!  Please give me boldness to walk by faith!  Dear Holy Spirit, please teach me to walk with you, and please help me be faithful to give all the glory to you as you produce good fruit in my life.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment