Tuesday, August 18, 2009

devotion to holiness

Luke 5, 1 Corinthians 5

I thought this was an interesting contrast between the crowds of Capernaum and Simon Peter:

L 4:42 Early the next morning Jesus went out to an isolated place. The crowds searched everywhere for him, and when they finally found him, they begged him not to leave them.

L 5:8 When Simon Peter realized what had happened, he fell to his knees before Jesus and said, "Oh, Lord, please leave me—I'm too much of a sinner to be around you."

I think the contrast is with the aspect of Christ revealed: with the crowds - gracious teacher and merciful healer; with Peter - Holy Deity.

I am especially challenged by the repeated notes of Christ's personal prayer time with the Father.  I need to better emulate His model. 

L 5:16 But Jesus often withdrew to the wilderness for prayer.

What do you think He prayed?

The other thing that got me this morning was Paul's charge for internal Church discipline.

1 Cor 5:9 When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn't talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don't even eat with such people. 12 It isn't my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, "You must remove the evil person from among you."

Our culture screams relativism and tolerance, and I think these have infiltrated the Church.  "You can't tell me what is right or wrong.  You can't tell me what to do."  Actually, the Lord has called us to be Holy as He is Holy, and He has called us to bear the fruit of the Spirit.  This requires His precise pruning (John 15:1-6) as well as internal auditing.  As Paul explains, we are certainly not judging unbelievers, but in humility and love (and with Matthew 7:1-5 in mind), we should hold each other accountable to Costly Grace.  To be honest, I don't think our congregation does this very well, if at all, and I don't know how one would go about it.  But now that the Lord has called it to my attention, I pray that He gives me grace if He gives me an opportunity for application.

Heavenly Father, you are merciful and kind for sending Jesus Christ, the Messiah.  Jesus, thank you for revealing the Holiness of God.  Holy Spirit, thank you for empowering me and sanctifying me and the Church to the image of Christ.  Please reveal yourself more to me, and may I be awestruck by your supremacy.  Lord God, teach me to pray like Christ.  I want to be a disciple of you.  Lord, please purify me and make me holy, and please use me to help others to grow in holiness.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, our Righteousness.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment