Monday, August 10, 2009

watching for His return

Mark 13, Romans 13

Yesterday morning I taught Bible study for a 50+ class in our church.  As I prepared to teach this class, the Lord worked in my heart to remind me that it is only the work of the Holy Spirit to produce a spiritual profit from my teaching.  In my flesh, I can only hurt; but by the grace and power of the Holy Spirit working through me, He can use me to sanctify the Body of Christ.

I have recently been reminded to live in eager anticipation of Christ's return, so these two passages are very encouraging this morning:

M 13:34 "The coming of the Son of Man can be illustrated by the story of a man going on a long trip. When he left home, he gave each of his slaves instructions about the work they were to do, and he told the gatekeeper to watch for his return. 35 You, too, must keep watch! For you don't know when the master of the household will return—in the evening, at midnight, before dawn, or at daybreak. 36 Don't let him find you sleeping when he arrives without warning. 37 I say to you what I say to everyone: Watch for him!"

R 13:9 ... "Love your neighbor as yourself." ... 11 This is all the more urgent, for you know how late it is; time is running out. Wake up, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living. 13 Because we belong to the day, we must live decent lives for all to see. Don't participate in the darkness of wild parties and drunkenness, or in sexual promiscuity and immoral living, or in quarreling and jealousy. 14 Instead, clothe yourself with the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ. And don't let yourself think about ways to indulge your evil desires.

So, "watching for Christ" has the practical implication of loving others.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your grace and mercy through Jesus Christ, and thank you for the promise of His return.  Lord, please help me live a holy lifestyle of purity and love so that others will see my expectation of Christ's return.  Lord, please help me show love to my wife, family, friends, and strangers, and may you receive all of the praise.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment