Monday, October 19, 2009

faithfulness

Matthew 19, 2 Timothy 4

Faithfulness has applications within multiple relationships.  The most fundamental is our faithfulness to Christ, which necessitates that EVERYTHING ELSE in our life follows Christ's Lordship:

Mt. 19:27 Then Peter said to him, "We've given up everything to follow you. What will we get?" ... 29 And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life.

2 Tim. 4:6 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 8 And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.

The next most obvious application of faithfulness is with your spouse:

Mt. 19:8 Jesus replied, "Moses permitted divorce only as a concession to your hard hearts, but it was not what God had originally intended. 9 And I tell you this, whoever divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery—unless his wife has been unfaithful."

Brandi and I were so blessed by the youth of our congregation that pledged themselves to sexual purity last night.  We will continue praying for them.

And, since we are Brothers and Sisters in Christ, we should be faithful to other disciples of Christ:

2 Tim. 4:9 Timothy, please come as soon as you can. 10 Demas has deserted me because he loves the things of this life and has gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, and Titus has gone to Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Bring Mark with you when you come, for he will be helpful to me in my ministry.

Of course, the Lord is always faithful!

2 Tim. 4:16 The first time I was brought before the judge, no one came with me. Everyone abandoned me. May it not be counted against them. 17 But the Lord stood with me and gave me strength so that I might preach the Good News in its entirety for all the Gentiles to hear. And he rescued me from certain death. 18 Yes, and the Lord will deliver me from every evil attack and will bring me safely into his heavenly Kingdom. All glory to God forever and ever! Amen.

Heavenly Father, you are always faithful.  Lord, your faithfulness stretches to the sky.  Lord, please help me be a faithful man.  May people see you in me because I am faithful to Christ, faithful to my wife and children, and faithful to my Brothers and Sisters in Christ.  Thank you for growing me; please use me today for your glory.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment