Wednesday, October 7, 2009

more on prayer

Matthew 7, 2 Thessalonians 1

I listened to a sermon on prayer last night by Matt Chandler at the Village.  He basically makes the point that God is totally sovereign and is working out His will, so why pray?  The reality is that God works through His people's prayers to accomplish His will.  So, when we look at these verses,

 M 7:7 "Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

we realize that we are to continually ask for His will, and He delights in answering our prayers by giving good gifts - because He is Good!

Heavenly Father, forgive me for my perspective of prayer as listing chores for you to do.  Lord, I confess that I am so selfish, even in prayer; please forgive me.  Lord, may your will be done, and may I continually and fervently beg to know you, experience you, and cooperate with you as you accomplish your good will.  May you receive the glory and honor, because you are worthy.  Here I am, Lord, use me.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment