Tuesday, October 27, 2009

rest

Matthew 27, Hebrews 4

When I consider the brutality of the torture that Jesus endured before and during His crucifixion, it makes these verses super-rich:

Heb. 4:14Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

These verses are in the context of rest.  Recently, I am realizing that rest is more important than I previously thought - physically, mentally, and spiritually.  The truth is that rest is a practical life function - we need it.  And God gives it - to those who believe.

Heavenly Father, thank you for sacrificing your own Son, Jesus, to defeat sin.  Lord, I believe in you, I trust you, and I want to know you more today.  Lord, please teach me to rest.  Lord, please help me lead my wife and son to rest in you.  Help us live a balanced life of physical, mental, and spiritual rest so that we will share the refreshment that we've received with others - for your glory and the advancement of your Kingdom.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment