Wednesday, October 28, 2009

reverence

Matthew 28, Hebrews 5

We should definitely enter the throneroom of grace boldly because of Christ's victory, but we better be reverent, as well:

Heb. 5:7 While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God. 8 Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered.

OK, if the Father answered Jesus's prayers because of His humility (though Jesus is Himself Holy God), then it seems like humility is a very important factor in our prayers (we being creation, unholy and sinful).

This morning, before I read Hebrews 5, I was frustrated because our dog Sam suddenly developed intestinal difficulties yesterday evening for some unknown reason.  Of course, in the middle of the night, he made a mess on the floor and stunk up our apartment.  (Needless to say, Brandi and I are pretty frustrated with him.)  So, I made sure I took him out several times this morning before leaving for work - hoping that he would be able to hold it until Brandi gets home this afternoon.  As I was standing outside waiting on Same to do his business, and remembering the passage from Heb. 4 yesterday, I asked the Lord to heal Sam's digestive issues.  And in a frustrated and disrespectful attitude, I told him that it seemed like a pretty trivial task for Him to take care of.  I quickly appologized to the Lord for my lack of reverence, but I'm still ashamed that I spoke to the Lord disrespectfully just because of my dog's loose bowels; it's pretty embarrasing.

So verse 7 cut to the heart as I read it on the bus.

The Lord gave me an analogy/metephore this morning.  The doorway to fellowship with God was wide-open when Adam and Eve were in the Garden - they could fellowship with Him freely.  But because of sin, the door was closed.  But since Jesus is both the Perfect High Priest and the Complete Sacrifice, His blood is applied to the closed door.  Christ's Victory is analagous to sawing the bottom two-feet of the doorway off.  The opportunity to fellowship with God is now restored, and we can go into His presence boldly anytime, but only by humbly crawling on our knees by faith in Christ's Victory.  If we just walked into God's Holy Presence without humility, we would invoke His instant judgement against our pride and sin.  But when we humbly and boldly approach Him through faith in Christ, then He welcomes us in, and He picks us up and gives us the privilege of standing in His Holy Presence as His Children - Brothers and Sisters with Christ Himself.  So we experience a similar process as Christ - humbling ourselves before Him, and then He mercifully and graciously exalts us to standing with Him.

Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my lack of reverence.  I confess that I am a sinful human, in no way deserving your mercy, love, grace, and kindness.  Please forgive me for my pride.  Dear God, I want to approach you humbly on my knees.  Father, please grow my fear of you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, my Perfect High Priest and Complete Sacrifice.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I think that the doorway to the Father is wide open. When Jesus died, the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom (Matthew 27:51). We approach God with reverance (Hallowed be thy name). Yes, we bow down before Him because of Who He is. But, the door is wide open.

    ReplyDelete