Tuesday, October 6, 2009

the will of God

Matthew 6, 1 Thessalonians 5

My Brother JJ noticed that several of my recent meditations have centered on the practice of prayer.  Sure enough, the Lord made another connection this morning through a classic passage:

M 6:9 Pray like this:   Our Father in heaven,
      may your name be kept holy.
   10 May your Kingdom come soon.
   May your will be done on earth,
      as it is in heaven.


At Brandi's cousin's wedding this past Friday, I had a great conversation with her Uncle David (who is a Spirit-led man) about prayer.  He told me that we are so weak in prayer, just like the Disciples with Christ in the Garden.  We usually just thank God for the day and then start rambling off a bunch of things that we need/want.  Uncle David said that we need to train ourselves to be devoted in praising and thanking Him, and then confession and supplication flow out of that.  I think this is consistent with with what we see in Matthew 6.  When we just give God a list of stuff to do, then it is us who is bossing God around our kingdom (and we are usually pretty whiny, too).  But when we adore Him, praise Him, and thank Him for an EXTENDED period of time, then our focus changes to HIS KINGDOM, and we realize that we are HIS SERVANTS to cooperate with Him in fulfilling His will.  So, what does His will look like, anyway?

1 Th. 5:16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

I think it is the attitude of Christ, replicated in us, that is the essential demonstration of His Kingdom.

Heavenly Father, you are so good and kind.  Your love and your mercy are infinite, and you proved that with Christ on the Cross.  Father, please help me focus on you.  I am so weak, and my focus so quickly shifts to myself and the world.  Lord, if I could just keep my eyes fixed on you, and if I could see you clearly, then I would overflow with joy and thankfulness.  May your will be accomplished in my life, and may I be used as an agent of bringing others to cooperate with you.  I love you, and I need you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment