Thursday, October 8, 2009

healer and judge

Matthew 8, 2 Thessalonians 2

Interesting... I titled my blog entry "healer and judge" for Mark 2 and Romans 2 on 30-JUL-09.

Anyway, it seems to me like there is almost a dichotomy of character in Christ: merciful and just.  But I suppose these two opposites are characteristic of the Lord throughout all of Scripture (Old and New testaments), so I shouldn't be surprised that we see these in Christ.  As for His mercy:

Mt 8:2 Suddenly, a man with leprosy approached him and knelt before him. "Lord," the man said, "if you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean." 3 Jesus reached out and touched him. "I am willing," he said. "Be healed!" And instantly the leprosy disappeared. ... 16 That evening many demon-possessed people were brought to Jesus. He cast out the evil spirits with a simple command, and he healed all the sick. 17 This fulfilled the word of the Lord through the prophet Isaiah, who said, "He took our sicknesses and removed our diseases."

As for His justice:

2 Th 2:7 For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way. 8 Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, but the Lord Jesus will kill him with the breath of his mouth and destroy him by the splendor of his coming.

Heavenly Father, it is your kindness, Lord, that brings us to repentance.  Lord, thank you for healing me and continuing to heal me.  Lord, please give me a strong grip on the Truth, and help me obey you in faith with a sober perspective of your holiness and justice.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, who is the Healer of the Nations and the Righteous Judge.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment