Thursday, January 14, 2010

Q & A

Genesis 33-35, Matthew 9:18-38

Devotional:  Our prayer life flows out of the purpose that the Lord has for us.  The fundamental purposes are: (1) to worship Him (i.e., love the Lord, and love others), (2) to fill the earth and subdue it, and (3) make Disciples of Jesus Christ.  Everything we pray for should flow out of these purposes.

Genesis 32
24And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. 25When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. 26Then he said, "Let me go, for the day has broken." But Jacob said, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." 27And he said to him, "What is your name?" And he said, "Jacob." 28Then he said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed." 29Then Jacob asked him, "Please tell me your name." But he said, "Why is it that you ask my name?" And there he blessed him. 30So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel, saying, "For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life has been delivered." 31The sun rose upon him as he passed Penuel, limping because of his hip.

Genesis 33
9God appeared to Jacob again, when he came from Paddan-aram, and blessed him. 10And God said to him, "Your name is Jacob; no longer shall your name be called Jacob, but Israel shall be your name." So he called his name Israel. 11And God said to him, "I am God Almighty: be fruitful and multiply. A nation and a company of nations shall come from you, and kings shall come from your own body.

I had a good discussion with some Brothers about Jacob wrestling with the Lord.  In our experience, we are just like Jacob - tricksters and deceivers, always trying to get ahead.  The Lord wants to gain us, but because of our flesh we wrestle against Him, and he allows us to prevail for a time.  But through some circumstance, the Lord will touch us, and our walk will never be the same.

I feel like the Lord touched me yesterday and last night with patience for my son.  I have been frustrated that He has not been sleeping very well.  The Lord has used these exhausting nights to expose my lack of patience.  But when Beau woke up at 4am this morning and wouldn't go back to sleep, I felt a joy and peace from the Lord as I paced around the apartment with Beau in my arms.  I feel like the Lord has gained more of me.

Heavenly Father, thank you for answering my prayers.  Thank you for using my son to grow me in Christ.  Lord, thank you for patiently wrestling with me; I pray that you will always prevail over me.  Lord, please grow my love for you and my love for people.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment