Monday, January 4, 2010

spiritual goals

Genesis 6-9, Matthew 3

My spiritual goals and objectives for this year are:
  • read the whole Bible
  • grow in prayer (quality and quantity)
  • seek the Lord faithfully to discern His will for my vocation after graduating in May
  • grow in spiritually leading my family
  • develop a balanced diet and exercise routine
My parents gave me a read-the-Bible-in-a-year devotional that is focused on prayer, so this will aid in the first four goals.  The first several days in this devotional have been very encouraging.  I have arranged to meet occasionally with Brother Tom from my congregation to learn from him by simply praying with him.  I have also arranged to meet with my Brother Neill every few weeks to pray together and discuss a book about prayer that he recommended.  I would also like to be more diligent about leading our Bible Life group and small groups to pray together.  I plan to continue fasting on Tuesdays to pray for the Lord's direction in completing my research here and hearing from Him about future vision and direction.

With my wife and son, I want to develop a habit of reading a spiritual devotion every evening around dinner, praying together, and going for a walk together.  I would also like to eat better foods and make it to the gym a couple of times per week.  I think this will help me sleep better and give me a clear mind.

The pastor of my inlaw's church challenged us that this year we will be the Lord's servants and live according to His word:

Luke 1:37For nothing will be impossible with God." 38And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." ...

Heavenly Father,  I want to walk with you like Enoch and Noah.  Lord, I want to fellowship with you and know you.  Lord, please turn my heart to you and give me the desire to know you more deeply.  I pray that you will genuinely be the prize that I seek and that every morning when I wake, I will be filled with joy in knowing you, seeking you, and obeying you.  I am your servant; may it be to me according to your Word.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment