Wednesday, January 6, 2010

the Word of God

Genesis 13-15, Matthew 5

Before a couple of days ago, it has been a while since I read the Old Testament.  Man, it is good to be back.

I love how Abram and Sarai coming out of Egypt in Gen 12 are types of Moses and Israel.  I love how Melchizedek offers bread and wine to Abram.  I love how God promises to bless Abram, and Abram complains that he doesn't have a son.  I love how God reassures Abram by showing him the stars, and Abram trusted the Lord.  I love how Abram asked God for proof, and God used a cultural ceremony to demonstrate His unilateral covenant with Abram.

The devotional this morning focused on the fundamental truth that we are made in the image of God - created to demonstrate His moral character and spirit.  And even though the Lord is the Sovereign Creator and we are humble creation, He still desires a relationship with us - the relationship between a Father and His children.

Heavenly Father, your love is too much.  You are so kind and so patient with us.  Lord, please forgive my complacency and selfishness.  Lord, please deliver me from laziness.  I want to be your servant.  Lord, you are my prize, and I am seeking you.  Please reveal yourself to me, and let me fellowship with you.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment