Thursday, January 28, 2010

fundamentals

Exodus 19-20

When you read about the Ten Commandments, it is tempting to think that the goal of our interaction with the Lord is to avoid sinning against Him, since 80% of the commandments start with "Thou shalt not ...".  And while "20:20" vision is great,

20:20 "Don't be afraid," Moses answered them, "for God has come in this way to test you, and so that your fear of him will keep you from sinning!"

we need to see the fundamental principle of our life as worshiping and loving the Lord:

 20:2 "I am the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt, the place of your slavery.
 3 "You must not have any other god but me.
...
24 ... Build my altar wherever I cause my name to be remembered, and I will come to you and bless you.

Heavenly Father, please help me focus on worshiping you and loving you with every aspect of my life.  I pray that there will be a simplicity in my faithfulness to you, and that I will be genuine and spontaneous in following you - not burdened by religion.  Lord, I pray that I will fear you, and that you will turn my heart toward you and away from the things of this world so that you will be blessed by my lifestyle.  Lord, may I be faithful to build altars to you, so that your name will be praised among the nations.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment