Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Names of God

Genesis 49-50, Matthew 13:1-30

As I read the Scriptures this year, I am trying to focus on (1) Who God Is, (2) His purposes and promises, and (3) how people pray to Him, based on (1) and (2).

Before he died, Jacob blessed his sons, and Joseph's blessing is rich:

 Gen 49:23 Archers attacked him savagely;
      they shot at him and harassed him.
 24 But his bow remained taut,
      and his arms were strengthened
   by the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob,
      by the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel.
 25 May the God of your father help you;
      May the Almighty bless you
   with the blessings of the heavens above,
      and blessings of the watery depths below,
      and blessings of the breasts and womb.

God is the Mighty One of Jacob.  He is the Shepherd.  He is the Rock of Israel.  These are three very personal names - personal to Jacob.

Another note, I think Joseph probably learned this humility in the prison before He was governor of Egypt:

Gen 50:15 But now that their father was dead, Joseph's brothers became fearful. "Now Joseph will show his anger and pay us back for all the wrong we did to him," they said. ... 19 But Joseph replied, "Don't be afraid of me. Am I God, that I can punish you? 20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.

Heavenly Father, I want to know you like Jacob did.  Lord, I want to wrestle with you.  I want to know your name.  I want to know you personally.  Jesus, please be my Shepherd.  Holy Spirit, may I be sensitive to your voice.  Lord, please give me a humble heart like Joseph.  I pray that I will very clearly understand my purpose in this brief life and never confuse my role with yours.  May you be honored in my life today.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment