Thursday, July 1, 2010

temporary injustice

Job 20-21

Job's "friends" kept telling him that he must be a wicked man since all this bad stuff happened to him.  In these two chapters, Job pointed out that God doesn't always punish the wicked immediately.  (And it's a good thing, too, or else, we would all be in a world of hurt.)  Sometimes, (maybe even most of the time), God allows a wicked man to be comfortable and wealthy up to the day that he dies.  But don't confuse the comforts of this psychological life with the reality of the ZOE life.

I had a great conversation with a professor here at Texas who is a Believer and has been teaching for a couple of decades.  I asked him a couple of questions trying to get advice for my new role as an assistant professor coming up this fall.  He basically replied by saying that if I am faithful to pursue the Lord every single day, then the Lord will provide and lead me where He wants me to go.  He reminded me that the true life is the ZOE life, and all of the responsibilities that I have (family, church, vocation, etc.) should all flow out of my dynamic walk with Christ and His power through the Holy Spirit.

Heavenly Father, I pray that I will see my life the way you see it.  Please don't let me be distracted with the things of this world, especially the pressures of being a professor and making tenure.  Lord, may I simply love you, day-in-day-out, and may I continue to grow in the dynamic sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's guidance each moment.  I love you, Lord, and I want to be closer to you today than I was yesterday.  And I want to be closer to you tomorrow than I was today.  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment