Monday, November 4, 2013

crucifixion

As I read the crucifixion account, I am reminded of a powerful statement from John Stott in The Cross of Christ (Chapter 2):

 

Herod and Pilate, Gentiles and Jews … had together "conspired" against Jesus (Acts 4:27). More important still, we ourselves are also guilty. If we were in their place, we would have done what they did. Indeed we have done it. ... We too sacrifice Jesus to our greed like Judas, to our envy like the priests, to our ambition like Pilate.
 
"Were you there when they crucified my Lord?" the old negro spiritual asks. And we must answer, "Yes, we were there." Not as spectators only, but as participants, guilty participants, plotting, scheming, betraying, bargaining and handing him over to be crucified. We may try to wash our hands of responsibility like Pilate. But our attempt will be as futile as his. For there is blood on our hands.
 
Before we can begin to see the cross as something done for us (leading to faith and worship), we have to see it as something done by us (leading us to repentance). Indeed, "only the man who is prepared to own his share in the guilt of the cross," wrote Canon Peter Green, "may claim his share in its grace."


Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my sin, which caused the death of Christ.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your faithful obedience to the Father, which won my salvation.  Thank you for your grace in extending your substitutionary death to me.  May I be faithful to tell the story of your great love.  I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, the perfect Lamb that was slain for the sin of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment