Friday, November 1, 2013

Not my will, but yours, Lord

Luke 22:42 ESV

[Jesus prayed], "Father, if you are willing, remove this cup from me. Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done."

I can almost feel the tension in Jesus's prayer - the tension between Divine will and human will.  Then again when Judas betrayed Jesus, and the soldiers and mob fell backwards when Jesus answered, "I AM"!  I can almost feel His divine power reined to the point of breaking when Jesus said that He could instantly call 12 legions of angels.  I can see the cosmic irony of the soldiers leading Jesus away, tied up, as those 12 legions of angels watch expectantly, poised to intervene instantly.

But He drank the cup that our Heavenly Father gave Him.  He submitted His will to the Father's will.  And in so doing, He won our salvation.

Heavenly Father, I don't understand your will or your plans.  You are mysterious.  Lord Jesus, thank you for obeying the Father and submitting to drink the cup of wrath for my sin.  I love you, and I pray that I will submit my will to yours, in honor of your example.  I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment