Saturday, November 16, 2013

love and (complete) holiness

1 Thessalonians

3:12 and may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, as we do for you, 13 so that he may establish your hearts blameless in holiness before our God and Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all his saints. 

4:3 For this is the will of God, your [holiness]: that you abstain from sexual immorality;4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor ... 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
 

5:16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit. ... 23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

As I read 1 Thessalonians this morning, I was impressed with two themes, love and holiness, and it seems to me that these are connected (3:12-13).  John's letters make it clear that God is the source of agape love, so as we love, we are allowing God to work in us and through us.  It seems that that process of loving is sanctifying (i.e., making us holy).

How is this possible?  God accomplishes our holiness (4:8, 5:23-24).  Furthermore, it seems that God's desire for us is to be holy, entirely and completely, including spirit, soul, and body.

(I had a conversation with my Brother Jason, a few days ago, and I discussed this idea of tri-partite humanity.  He made the point that humans are compound beings with spiritual and physical aspects.  I like this point, but I still read three distinct aspects in 5:23, with the words entirely/wholly and complete.  Perhaps it was only a literary device for emphasis, but I don't think Paul's explicit listing here of spirit, soul, and body is insignificant, especially when coupled with Romans 8.)

Heavenly Father, thank you for your promise to make me holy.  Lord, may I submit to your sanctification through love.  May your love be demonstrated more clearly in me, and more and more, so that I am molded into the image of Christ.  I pray that you will be honored. I love you, and I ask in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment