Thursday, November 7, 2013

Generosity

Acts 2:42-47 ESV

And they devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

I love verse 42.  Pure and simple.  It's a shame that this verse is only descriptive of a small fraction of Christianity.   Somehow, a Sunday morning service stole the show.

The following verses used to bother me because I thought that people were giving away all that they had, and then they wouldn't be able to take care of themselves.  Today, I realize that God can replace anything we give (if He chooses) because He owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and He is always more generous than we are.  Furthermore, we are only stewards, not owners.

Today, Beau said something about "his toys" and how he didn't want to share.  I told him that he didn't own anything; we share as a family.  Maybe there is a spiritual parallel.

I am reminded of the widow who gave her two mites.  To think that we can even take care of ourselves is believing a lie. We must always remember that it is the Lord who cares for us, daily.  The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; blessed be the name if the Lord. 

We can give generously and cheerfully because it is the Lord who prompts us to give, even sacrificially, as a reminder of His generosity through Christ.  We are privileged to partner with Him and collaborate with Him in His good work.

Heavenly Father, please help me see that it is you who cares for me and my family.  Lord, may I live a life of cheerful generosity that honors your providence and sacrificial love.  I love you, and I trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment