Sunday, November 3, 2013

Switch: we falsely accused Him, and sent Him to die

Luke 23
18 But they all cried out together, "Away with this man, and release to us Barabbas"— 19 a man who had been thrown into prison for an insurrection started in the city and for murder. 20 Pilate addressed them once more, desiring to release Jesus, 21 but they kept shouting, "Crucify, crucify him!" 22 A third time he said to them, "Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no guilt deserving death. I will therefore punish and release him." 23 But they were urgent, demanding with loud cries that he should be crucified. And their voices prevailed. 24 So Pilate decided that their demand should be granted. 25 He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, for whom they asked, but he delivered Jesus over to their will.

Switch:  Even a few days before, Jesus was demonstrating His authority and supernatural power, even raising people from the dead.  But on the night of His betrayal, it is like He threw a switch, internally, and allowed Himself to be betrayed, falsely accused, and even falsely judged.  Two judges ruled Him innocent, but the Jewish leaders, as representatives of all of humanity, sent Him to execution.  Instead of resisting, instead of exercising His proper authority and power, He submitted to the Father's will - Jesus let us kill Him.

Switch:  Every time I read through this passage, I can't help but identify myself with Barabbas.  I was guilty of real crimes, moral crimes against the Creator and Judge of the world.  But I was released, and Christ Jesus was sent to execution instead of me.  What an incredible sacrifice.

Heavenly Father, please forgive me for my sin.  Please forgive me for my share in Christ's death.  Lord Jesus, I am so sorry for the unjust, angry, and brutal way that we treated you.  Lord, please forgive me.  May I always be impressed by your love and sacrifice.  I love you.  Please teach me to follow in your Way.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment