Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Lord's Table

1 Cor 10-11

10:14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? 17 Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. 18 Consider the people of Israel: are not those who eat the sacrifices participants in the altar?19 What do I imply then? That food offered to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons.22 Shall we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?
 
11:23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. 27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself.

ATTITUDE
The Scripture here teaches that we should not take the Lord's Supper in "an unworthy manner", but in context (vs. 17-22), I think the rebuke is for being cavalier. But I have heard preachers discourage people from participating in Communion (The Lord's Supper/Table) if your "heart is not right".  However, taking Ch. 10 and Ch. 11 together, I think the invitation to participate in Communion is always to choose Christ over the World - to turn away from the things of the world and turn to Christ.  He is gracious and merciful, and when we turn away from the things of the world and humbly come to Him, He promises to receive us and bless us with His presence.  I think we need to make it clear that the time of Communion can be a very special time of examination in which we really ask the Lord to test our ways and thoughts and invite Him to (gently) correct us and draw us back to Him.  I think we should approach Communion with an attitude of humility, thankfulness, and a desire to accept His offer of mercy and grace.

FREQUENCY
There is no specified frequency.  But, since we gather together weekly (usually on Sundays, in honor of Christ's resurrection), I personally prefer to celebrate communion every week, in honor of His death, resurrection, and return.  I think it is inherently evangelistic.  I have been in churches that celebrate only once per month or once per quarter, because they don't want communion to be taken lightly.  I acknowledge that familiarity breeds contempt, but I think the value of careful weekly observance far outweighs the risk of being taken for granted.  In fact, it is granted to be taken.

FOCUS
Furthermore, in most of the communions that I have observed, the emphasis is on the death of Christ.  No doubt, His death is crucial for us, individually and corporately.  (I think another aspect of Communion is recognizing the communal aspect of the Church being His body.)  But, in addition to His death, 1 Cor 11:26 includes the significance of proclaiming His return.  And thinking of the several parables in the Gospel of Matthew, I think we need to encourage each other weekly to expect His return.  We are living for Him.  While Communion should begin with self-reflection and listening to the Spirit, ultimately, participating in Communion should focus on Christ.  It is an act of worship.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your mercy and grace.  Thank you for the Lord's Supper.  Thank you for your constant faithfulness, mercy, and grace.  Thank you for the frequent invitation to turn from the world and be united with you.  Lord Jesus, thank you for your body and blood, which has ransomed my salvation.  May the joy of my salvation be evident, for your glory.  May my life be lived in anticipation of your return, enjoying the encouraging fellowship of those who call on your name. We are your body. I love you, and I pray in the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment