Thursday, June 7, 2007

delight and nations

Proverbs 7 and some Psalms
 
 3 Trust in the Lord and do good.
      Then you will live safely in the land and prosper.
  4 Take delight in the Lord,
      and he will give you your heart's desires. 
 5 Commit everything you do to the Lord.
      Trust him, and he will help you.
 
I have heard verse 4 used as an argument that God gives each of us unique talents and desires that we are supposed to utilize for His glory, but I think that is flipping the order of the verse.  I think more precisely, as we draw near to God, He draws near to us and changes our desires to match His ( James 4:4-10).  But what does it mean to "delight in the LORD" anyway?  Seriously, I want to know.
 
Psalm 67 is a great passage about missions and God shining His light among the nations.  My wife and I have felt the Lord stirring our hearts to show compassion to people around the world that do not know Him.  It is refreshing to see an Old Testament text outlining God's plan to save the whole world.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, teach me to delight in you.  I don't know what that means exactly, but I want to delight in you and watch you change me into the man you want me to be.  Lord, I commit everything to you: wife, family, work, future, and past.  Jesus, I want my life to count for taking your light to the nations.  Lord, please prepare me today for how you will use me in the future to share the Gospel story with the nations.  I pray this in Jesus's Name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment