Monday, June 25, 2007

life that counts

 
Yesterday, we had an early patriotic celebration at our church.  Now, I was a bit weary of this, because sometimes they turn into a "look how great our country is" hullabaloo.  However, I was pleasantly pleased that our worship leader stated something like, "Today we celebrate the freedom that we have to gather together and worship, but our focus is on the Lord Jesus Christ."
 
The highlight of the service was the address from the guest speaker, Tim Lee.  He is a decorated war veteran, and he told his simple story of how the Lord gained control of his life.  His testimony was powerful, and his delivery was precise.  At the beginning of his address, he asked us to pray that the Lord would speak personally and specifically to each person.  In retrospect, I left with the strong desire to be as bold as Tim Lee in sharing his testimony and engaging people to a saving relationship with Jesus Christ.  About 34 people professed faith in Jesus Christ at our church yesterday!
 
Also, he asked us to visit his website, which I did.  He recommends that we contact our congressmen about the restriction that Chaplains are not allowed to pray "in the name of Jesus."  So here is what I wrote:
 
Senator/Representative [last name]
 
As I understand it, there is a restriction that U.S. Armed Services Chaplains are not allowed to pray "in the name of Jesus."  This is clearly an infringement of our First Amendment rights: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech ..."
 
Therefore, please see to it that this restriction is abolished.
 
Sincerely and Respectfully,
[my name]
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father,  thank you for encouraging me through the testimony of Tim Lee.  Father, I thank you that you are willing to go to drastic means to get a Believer's attention, and I thank you for getting Tim Lee's attention and my attention.  Father, please make me into a man that engages people like Tim Lee does.  Father, use me in a powerful way to reach people for Christ Jesus.  I pray this in the powerful name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment