Monday, June 4, 2007

miscellaneous thoughts

Proverbs 4 and some Psalms
 
My brother was married two days ago.  I realized during the ceremony that with each wedding I attend, I appreciate more my wife and the significance of marriage.  I think it is important that the groom first gives the bride a ring because it is Christ who first loved us, and this is theologically significant. (Romans 5:6-8, John 15:16)
 
The pastor gave a challenge to husbands/fathers yesterday, and one of the questions was, "Does your family hear you say, 'I love God'?"  Sadly, I must answer "no."  Upon discussing this with my wife, we came to the conclusion that it is not enough to simply read and memorize scripture, pray, and attend church, for this is what the pharisees did, and they were lost without a clue.  Rather, it is the humble and intimate attitude of King David that God honored by revealing His close presence.
 
Hence, I seek to augment this blog that as of yet is predominantly impersonal providential truth, to include more of my personal experience of Him and my quest to sincerely love him with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for teaching me to love you more even through a wedding ceremony.  Lord, I pray that my marriage will honor you and show the love of Christ and the Church, recognizing that it is only possible by your grace.  God, I love you, and I want to love you more.  I want to be known as one who loves God and his wife.  I want to be characterized by love, because love is from you only.  Lord, please teach me and grow me into the man you desire.  Lord, please give me direction today.  Lord, may I seek wisdom as diligently as Proverbs 4 instructs.  Lord, may you be glorified in my life.  I pray this in Jesus's name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment