Tuesday, June 26, 2007

fools and close help

Proverbs 26 and some Psalms
 
Proverbs 26 says a lot about fools and lazy people.  The two that get me most are:
 
4 Don't answer the foolish arguments of fools,
      or you will become as foolish as they are. 
5 Be sure to answer the foolish arguments of fools,
      or they will become wise in their own estimation.
 
and
 
12 There is more hope for fools
      than for people who think they are wise.
 
While I don't think I am entirely foolish (because of Christ's redeeming work in me), I must (of course) heed the warning in verse 12.  In that context, when confronted with the foolish behavior of an individual (or a group of "fools," for that matter), I must be careful not to let their behavior rub off on me; but I can't just ignore the situation.  I have an obligation, as a Bible reading and believing Christian, to let the Holy Spirit speak through me.  I think this will vary by situation; sometimes it will be a bold rebuke, and other times it will be a soft, kind word - in each case guided by the Holy Spirit.
 
In the Psalms I read today, David spoke of God being near him and helping him.  I was talking with a Brother recently about not "feeling" God as much as I used to, and he suggested that perhaps it is simply the season of life we are in.  There were many times when David did not "feel" like God was near him - that God had abandoned him.  Of course, God had not abandoned him; God allowed him to go through that drought so that David would trust God by spirit and will, not by "feeling."  Perhaps that is what the Lord is trying to teach me these days - to walk with Him through the valley by faith, not by sight.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please help me.  I know that you are there, even when I don't feel you.  I place my trust and hope of eternal salvation in Christ Jesus, who is my LORD and master.  I confess that I am a sinful man in need of your continual guidance and direction, and I trust that you will guide me in your mysterious way - to grow my faith and glorify yourself through my life.  Lord, please guide me along your will for my life, especially when I don't feel you.  I ask these in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment