Thursday, June 28, 2007

speeding

Proverbs 28 and some Psalms
 
4 To reject the law is to praise the wicked;
      to obey the law is to fight them.
 
I was really convicted when I read this verse because I think "the law" includes speeding.  Ergo, when I speed (even if I'm only going two mph over the speed limit), I am praising the wicked.  That kills me inside, because God is the only one worthy of praise. (ouch! that stings a little.)
 
13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper,
      but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.
 
This is one of my favorite verses in Proverbs because it explains the Gospel so simply - it gets me every time.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I admit that I am a sinner, and I confess to you that I need you to save me from myself every day (especially from "little" sins I try to rationalize away like speeding).  I repent of my wicked ways, and I trust you for eternal and daily salvation.  I praise you for being merciful, and I thank you for your Grace.  Lord, help me be as bold as a lion for righteousness, even today.  I know that you will give me the strength to stand for what is right and to fight against evil, all for the glory of your Name.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Savior and Master.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I see your point here, but let me challenge you with an example. What if the law of the U.S. stated that all women who are pregnant must have an abortion? You and I wouldn't follow that law because of our objection to abortion. Doesn't that theory basically negate the need to follow man's law when it has nothing to do with God's law?

    Nice blog by the way. Check mine out at manvsworld.blogspot.com if you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that I wouldn't obey the forced abortion law, but that is because it contradicts God's Word. I think the default Christian-citizen behavior is not "negate the need to follow man's law when it has nothing to do with God's law" but rather "obey man's law unless it contradicts God's law."

    ReplyDelete