Wednesday, June 6, 2007

sleeping in

Proverbs 6 and some Psalms
 
Of course, God custom tailored my experience with the Word this morning.  I set the alarm for 5:50 (the usual time), but ended up sleeping in until 7:30.  Proverbs 6 says:
 
 6 Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones.
      Learn from their ways and become wise!
 7 Though they have no prince
      or governor or ruler to make them work,
 8 they labor hard all summer,
      gathering food for the winter.
 9 But you, lazybones, how long will you sleep?
      When will you wake up?
 10 A little extra sleep, a little more slumber,
      a little folding of the hands to rest—
 11 then poverty will pounce on you like a bandit;
      scarcity will attack you like an armed robber.
 
Ouch!  So here is the question:  Where is the appropriate point of balance between sleeping all the time like a "lazybones" versus unhealthy sleep deprivation?  Or is there such thing as spiritually unhealthy sleep deprivation?  Do we get bonus points in Heaven for the least number of hours we slept (like a golf game)?
 
On the note of working hard during the summer, I have an enormous amount of work to accomplish on my research (literature review and laboratory experimentation).  It is one of those things that emulates the sanctification process; I must trust in the Lord's divine sovereignty but also work as hard as I can.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word being applicable to daily living.  Lord, I pray that you will show me the appropriate amount of sleep you want me to have, and give me the grace to operate in that regime if it is less than my flesh desires.  Lord, please help me with my research, because I know that you will receive glory from me doing a good job and honoring your name.  I pray this in Jesus's name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment