Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

 
Proverbs 17:6
Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged;
parents are the pride of their children.
 
The Lord blessed me with a wonderful father.  My dad taught me the Scriptures from childhood, he led me to a relationship with Jesus Christ, and he has been an example of what a Biblical man, husband, and father should be. 
 
I am proud of my father.  It's ironic how he was my hero as a child, he annoyed me when I was a teenager, and now I respect him even more than I did when I was a child.  My father invested his life in mine; similar to how the Father invests in mine.  Perhaps I am most thankful to my dad for being a good example of the Father.
 
I think Father's Day serves several purposes. The first, and perhaps most obvious, is that my dad feels special and receives verbal affirmation today.  The second, and perhaps generally overlooked, is that I conciously recognize how blessed I am to have the father I do.  I know a lot of dads have a shirt, cap, trophy, baseball, or some other object that says something like "world's best dad," but my dad is such a well rounded person that I just don't see how anyone could be a better dad.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for giving me such a wonderful earthly father.  Lord, you have taught me so much through him.  Father, I pray that you will continue to bless him and grow him.  Lord, I pray that you will reveal yourself to him so that he will know you more deeply.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment