Thursday, September 13, 2007

opportunity to take interest

 
A fellow PhD candidate in my program has had a rough few years.  Yesterday, I went down to his lab (one floor below mine) and spend an hour with him.  I helped him by showing him a more efficient way to migrate his data from one of the laboratory machines to his computer for data processing.  I could tell he was down because he is intimidated with looming deadlines, and even though I didn't say or do anything remarkably revolutionary, I could tell that he was sincerely encouraged with my genuine interest in his research and his personal well being.
 
I think this is what God is leading me to do with all of my friends.  Genuine connections with people on their level, where they are, in their environment - to show them that I care about them, that I value their friendship and their life.  This is the practical love of Christ.  This is why people are interested in the relationship with Christ that I have, not because they are impressed with what I know but because of how I love.
 
Of course, there is a fine line between compassionate concern and just being sappy.  It's the peace of God, and hope in eternal life that sets the love of Christ apart from shallow compassion.  I am encouraged by the conclusion of Jude:
 20 But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.   22Be merciful to those who doubt; 23snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.
 24To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25 to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for pouring your Spirit through me.  Lord, I pray that you will magnify yourself in my life - that you may increase and I may decrease.  Lord, I pray that you will give me a genuine love and concern for all people, and that I will be focused on sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with everyone.   Lord, I pray that the love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control that your Spirit produces in my life will be evident and attractive to my friends who have not yet connected with you.  I pray that my life will be a testimony of your goodness and love.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment