Monday, September 17, 2007

theological grappling

 
Reading Revelation is a sober reminder of the judgement to come.  It is simultaneously both satisfying in the sense that God does finally judge the evil and wicked things of this world and saddening in the sense that there are people who will see God's mighty power but will still refuse to repent.
 
In the same category of theological things I don't understand is what I'm supposed to do about my grandfathers' health situations.  My paternal grandfather has not been doing well for several years, but my maternal grandfather's health has recently taken a dive.  My maternal grandmother was diagnosed with cancer mid-summer 2001 and passed away late September 2001.  We prayed and prayed and prayed for God to heal her body (which seemed appropriate considering she was a godly woman), but she wasn't healed  Hence, I'm confused, and a little discouraged regarding prayer for my grandparents' health.  I feel like it is almost a waste of time to pray for them to be healed if God is not going to heal them.  I mean, really, what's the point?  If God's going to do what He's already planned regardless of what I pray for, then, honestly, what's the point?  If that's the case, then what's all this business in Jesus's preaching about us praying and God hearing and answering our prayers.  Granted, I know I learned a lot more about God through my grandmother passing away than I would had she been miraculously healed, but I just don't know what I'm supposed to pray for.  I guess if you look at Jesus's prayer in the garden (before His arrest and crucifixion) through my jacked-up lenses, then you would consider His prayer pointless also.  Yeah, yeah, I know. This brings me back to what I've been told before: the objective of prayer is not for God to do my will, but for me to know and do God's will.  I just don't know how I'm supposed to "feel" it.  I want to pray a genuine prayer that's not a waste of time.
 
Prayer (how ironic)
Heavenly Father, I know that you are sovereign and in control.  In reading Revelation, I am reminded that you are the final judge, and your plan will be accomplished.  Lord, I want to be a part of your plan.  I want to pray for things and know that you care about what I'm asking for and know that you are going to respond.  Lord, I know that you know how I feel because Jesus has experienced more than what I'm experiencing, and He was still completely obedient to you.  Father, I'm going to pray like Jesus, because I am a disciple of Christ.  Lord, I pray that you will physically heal my grandfathers, and I pray that you will take them home to be with you if you're not going to heal them.  Lord, most of all, I pray that your plan will happen just like it's supposed to, even if it is uncomfortable for me.  Lord, I believe, but help my unbelief.  I pray this in the powerful name of Jesus Christ, the only means of grace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment