Friday, September 7, 2007

suffering again

 
My wife and I had a good conversation about suffering yesterday.  She said, "You're not supposed to go through life worrying about when the next round of suffering is going to happen and how bad it's going to be."  I concur.  There is a subtle difference between knowing that God is going to grow you through the suffering that is sure to happen versus being anxious and nervous about what the suffering will be and if you can handle it.  Indeed, it is quite dangerous to slip into a "woe is me" attitude during suffering, because then you are missing the bigger picture of what God wants you to learn through the experience - HIM!
 
One of the things I told my wife is that I feel like the difference this time I read about suffering in scripture is that I want to have a good attitude during suffering.  Rather than gritting my teeth and muttering under my breath about how I'm suffering (a selfish perspective), my hope is to keep my eyes fixed on Jesus, the author and perfecter of my faith, and allow His Holy Spirit to produce fruit in my life during suffering that is a demonstration of His authority, control, and presence in my life.
 
Of course, these thoughts are not without scriptural support (1 Peter):
4:1 So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin. 2 You won't spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. ... 12 Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. 13 Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world. 14 So be happy when you are insulted for being a Christian, for then the glorious Spirit of God rests upon you. ... 19 So if you are suffering in a manner that pleases God, keep on doing what is right, and trust your lives to the God who created you, for he will never fail you.
What I tend to forget (during times of suffering, but also in general) is that my experience of the Lord is in the context of corporate salvation; that is, God is redeeming the Church, and I am one member with a specific function to serve the Body, to the glory of God.
4:10 God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. 11 Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that speaks truth to me, relevant to my life.  I praise you that the Word is the definition of Truth; it is a Person, Jesus Christ, Who is the Son of God, the Light of Life, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.  Lord, I pray that you will give me a proper perspective and understanding of suffering and that I will be focused on learning Who you are and enjoying your authority, control, and presence in my life.  I pray that you will use me, according to your great plan, to glorify yourself.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, my Redeemer and Master.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment