Tuesday, September 25, 2007

overt subtlety

 
I'm amazed at how, considering Jesus's supernatural identity, He didn't make a big show.  He fulfilled so many prophetic scriptures even in the few hours before His death, and one of those I'm impressed with today is Isaiah 53:7:
He was oppressed and afflicted,
       yet he did not open his mouth;
       he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
       and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
       so he did not open his mouth.
Yet, God saw fit to place a few "road signs" along the way, both literal and figurative.  The sign nailed to the cross is classic - "The King of the Jews" written in Hebrew, Latin, and Greek so that practically everyone could read it.  One of my friends recently asked me, "Why doesn't God make it blatantly obvious that He is real and He expects certain things."  Well, in some ways, I believe He did.  He may not intervene with an audible voice, but the Scriptures are practically screaming with Christ's identity.
 
The point of application here: am I a "road sign" that shows Jesus Christ as the King of the Jews, the savior of the world?  Just last night, a friend from school sent me an encouraging email about how he saw God's light in my life.  So, I think I'm headed in the right direction, but I'm certainly still far from the goal.  How can I love God more?  How can I increase my rate of sanctification?
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank you for your Word that testifies of your love.  Jesus, I thank you for the sacrifice you gave on the cross to pay the penalty of my sin.  Thank you for giving me life with You.  Spirit, I pray that you will fill me with your Fruit so that I can be a road sign to others.  I pray that you will show me how I can grow in You and love you better.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment