Thursday, September 6, 2007

pure life and suffering

1:13Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 17Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. ... 22Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.
 
2:1Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. ...  9But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. ... 16Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. ... But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
 
3:8Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. ... 13 Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. ... 18 For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit
The book of 1 Peter seems really practical to me.  It's like God is speaking through Peter to each and every Christian, imploring us to live pure and holy lives.  I am becoming more and more impressed with how important it is for my mind to be sharp and attentive (proactive), and for me to be "on my toes" physically - keeping myself in a continual state of check.  I also need to be expecting the suffering that we are called to endure - because we get an opportunity to behave like Christ.  Now, I'm quite sure that because of what I've just written, God is going to allow me to try it out and see if I can put my money where my mouth is.
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, please give me the grace to accomplish what you have called me to.  In fact, this is assignment is impossible for me to do on my own, but I know that your Holy Spirit is inside me to live the life of Christ through me.  Lord, I pray that you will humble me, purify my motives, sharpen my mind, and transform me into the image of Christ through the path you have marked out for me.  Lord, may your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self-control pour through my life into those around me that you may be honored and glorified.  May I lift up Christ, and I beg you to draw men and women to yourself.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, Who is completely obedient to the Father. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment