Saturday, September 13, 2008

big picture

Esther 1-4

Timeless story:  good guy, bad guy, conflict, showdown (That's as far as we get today; we'll have to wait for the resolution until tomorrow.)

There are at least two famous lines from the whole book of Esther is:

4:14 ... And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?

4:16 ... And if I perish, I perish.

which speak to Gods sovereignty and the necessity of our cooperation with Him as He accomplishes His will through us.

But this morning I was noticing a subtle theme of respect for authority.  Mordecai was Esther's cousin and caretaker, and Esther obeyed Mordecai's instruction (2:10, 2:22, 4:15-16).  Esther was also obedient to Hegai, King Xerxes's head servant in charge of the search for a new queen (2:15).  I think you can draw a stark contrast between Esther's submissive and obedient behavior when you compar her to the stereotypical proud and selfish American culture.  Somehow, the fact that God the Father demonstrated authority over God the Son, and the fact that Jesus Christ submitted to His Father's will doesn't communicate to our fallen sinful mind that God-centered authority and submission are beautiful.  The attribute of love is communicated through this authority-submission dynamic.

This means that I need to take special care to obey Ephesians 5:21 that says, "Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ."  I need to make speciall effort to submit to my wife and love her like Christ loves the Church.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please help me see the people in authority over me, and help me submit to them out of reverence for Christ.  Lord,  above all, please help me submit to your authority and show you that I love you as I submit to your perfect will.  God, please help me show my wife the Love of Christ.  I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment