Tuesday, September 23, 2008

the matchless benevolence of Yahweh

Psalm 146, 147, Nehemiah 7:73-9:37

Last week my wife and I intended to get up half an hour earlier to be able to go to the exercise room at our apartment complex and read/listen to the Bible while we exercise.  Well, a hundred things got in the way, so we didn't end up making it.  But this morning, we finally made it.  Not only do I need and enjoy it for my own personal health, but it is so satisfying to spend quality time with my wife doing something that I know she enjoys and desires to do as well.  Spiritual exercise, quality time, and physical exercise all at once - who would have thought?

146:7 He upholds the cause of the oppressed
       and gives food to the hungry.
       The LORD sets prisoners free,

 8 the LORD gives sight to the blind,
       the LORD lifts up those who are bowed down,
       the LORD loves the righteous.

 9 The LORD watches over the alien
       and sustains the fatherless and the widow,
       but he frustrates the ways of the wicked.

And if that doesn't convince you that His love is matchless, then check this out:

Nehemiah 9:5 And the Levites—Jeshua, Kadmiel, Bani, Hashabneiah, Sherebiah, Hodiah, Shebaniah and Pethahiah—said: "Stand up and praise the LORD your God, who is from everlasting to everlasting. Blessed be your glorious name, and may it be exalted above all blessing and praise. 6 You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. You give life to everything, and the multitudes of heaven worship you.  7 "You are the LORD God, who chose Abram and brought him out of Ur of the Chaldeans and named him Abraham. 8 You found his heart faithful to you, and you made a covenant with him to give to his descendants the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Jebusites and Girgashites. You have kept your promise because you are righteous. ...

OK, so how does this impact me, practically?  First, I need to make sure that I am praising God for Who He Is - with every ounce of my being in every moment of my life.  This is something that God has been working in me - to be conscious of His presence and His will in every moment of my day.  I'm not there yet, but I pray that I will be like the Psalmist who loves to meditate on His glorious identity all day long - morning, noon, and evening.  Second, I need to thank Him for what He has done.  He has blessed me with an incredible wife, family, Church congregation, education, profession in addition to the basic needs that I often take for granted (shelter, clothes, food, air).  I pray that I will reach the point where I am consciously aware of the fact that He is my very breath; to do His will is my food.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you for who you are.  You are the Creator of the universe; you are in control of every little detail.  Nothing is outside of your power, and you have created all things for your glory and your good pleasure.  You are faithful to all of your promises, and your love has no end.  You love us in spite of our rebellious hearts and disobedient lives.  Lord, please help me be aware of Who You Are and how you are working in my life.  Help me be sensitive to the Holy Spirit today.  Help me live like Christ - aware of you and obedient to your plan, for your glory alone.  Thank you for the beautiful sunrise this morning.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment