Wednesday, September 17, 2008

dealing with sin and selfishness

 
As Ezra is leading the people to rebuild Jerusalem and the holy temple, it comes to his attention that many of the Israelites (including the priests and leaders) had married people from the pagan cultures around them - directly disobeying an explicit command of God for his holy people.  Ezra's response was:
  1. confessing their sin before God
  2. mourning for their sin
  3. cultivating a heart of repentance in himself and his people
  4. leading them to actions of repentance
Today's Love Dare discusses our natural depraved constitution - each of us is selfish from birth.  Indeed, I am aware of my selfishness, and yet, tragically, I am naive to think that I am fully aware of it's pervasive extent in my mind and life.  Fortunately, Jesus Christ is at work in my heart - crucifying this sinful nature and growing His own life up inside me.  I have been studying Ephesians 3 this week, and this verse grabs at me the most:
17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.
I cannot change my sinful nature; I am helpless against my flesh, this world, and the enemy of our souls.  But, praise God!  He is so gracious and kind that He not only paid the penalty and debt of my sin; He is actively working inside me to change me from the inside out!
 
(Note:  I am continually impressed with how selfless my wife is.)
 
Prayer
Heavenly Father, in you alone do I find salvation!  You save me from sin and death, and you save me from my selfish self!  O God, change me from the inside and help me trust you as Christ makes His home in my heart.  By your Grace, and by walking in step with the Holy Spirit, please help me live selflessly with everyone, especially my wife.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, who gave up His self in submission to your perfect Will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment