Saturday, September 20, 2008

for the love of God

Psalm 111, 112, 117, 119:1-72

This morning I reclined on the couch to read the Bible, sunlight coming through the window, classical music playing softly, a hot cup of coffee, my wife taking a nap ... man, what a great environment to soak on the Scriptures!  Of course, the reading selection this morning was perfect for such meditation.  The Psalms blew me away this morning - essentially on two points:
  1. the goodness and love of Yahweh
  2. man's pursuit and delight in the person and will of Yawheh
A sampling:

111:1 Praise the LORD.
       I will extol the LORD with all my heart
       in the council of the upright and in the assembly.

      2 Great are the works of the LORD;
       they are pondered by all who delight in them.

      3 Glorious and majestic are his deeds,
       and his righteousness endures forever.

      4 He has caused his wonders to be remembered;
       the LORD is gracious and compassionate.

112:1 Praise the LORD.
       Blessed is the man who fears the LORD,
       who finds great delight in his commands.

117:1 Praise the LORD, all you nations;
       extol him, all you peoples.

      2 For great is his love toward us,
       and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.
       Praise the LORD.

119:2 Blessed are they who keep his statutes
       and seek him with all their heart. ...

      9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
       By living according to your word. ...

      10 I seek you with all my heart;
       do not let me stray from your commands.

      11 I have hidden your word in my heart
       that I might not sin against you. ...

      16 I delight in your decrees;
       I will not neglect your word. ...

      20 My soul is consumed with longing
       for your laws at all times. ...

      24 Your statutes are my delight;
       they are my counselors. ...

      30 I have chosen the way of truth;
       I have set my heart on your laws. ...

      32 I run in the path of your commands,
       for you have set my heart free. ...

      36 Turn my heart toward your statutes
       and not toward selfish gain.

      37 Turn my eyes away from worthless things;
       preserve my life according to your word. ...

      41 May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD,
       your salvation according to your promise; ...

      50 My comfort in my suffering is this:
       Your promise preserves my life. ...

      57 You are my portion, O LORD;
       I have promised to obey your words.

      58 I have sought your face with all my heart;
       be gracious to me according to your promise. ...

      68 You are good, and what you do is good;
       teach me your decrees.

      69 Though the arrogant have smeared me with lies,
       I keep your precepts with all my heart.

      70 Their hearts are callous and unfeeling,
       but I delight in your law.

      71 It was good for me to be afflicted
       so that I might learn your decrees.

      72 The law from your mouth is more precious to me
       than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I confess that my life does not demonstrate that I love you more than anything else in this world, but I want to.  Please turn my heart to you, because I know that nothing else in this world satisfies like you do!  I confess that you are more precious to me than anything in this world; I want to delight wholly in you!  You are good, and your love endures forever!  I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, who perfectly demonstrated your love and goodness, and of whom I am a disciple.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment