Friday, September 26, 2008

zeal for holiness

Nehemiah 13; Joel 1-2

Nehemiah's heart is for purity; he wants the people to obey the laws not for the sake of religion, but out of a heart of devotion to God.  So, when he discovered that merchants were selling goods on the Sabbath, he kicked them out!  And then when he saw them camping outside the city gates on the Sabbath, he told them they better get lost or he was going to beat them up! (v. 19-21)  What a hoss!  Later, he beat the snot (and hair) out of some knuckleheads that had married foreign women, and he gave them a lesson on King Solomon while he was at it! (v. 23-27)

I pray this promise in Joel for myself, my wife, my Bible Life Group, my congregation, and all of the congregations of God's One Holy Church:

2:28 "And afterward,
       I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
       Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
       your old men will dream dreams,
       your young men will see visions.

 29 Even on my servants, both men and women,
       I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, please pour your Holy Spirit on me and my wife, and use us to spread your Spirit - to express yourself among the nations!  Please give us dreams, visions, and prophesies - according to your will.  Lord, please give me a heart for purity and holiness like Nehemiah.  I pray that you will deliver me from all temptations, and help me lead those in my spiritual influence to holy living (perhaps in a more gentle way than Nehemiah).  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment