Tuesday, September 2, 2008

sovereignty and holiness

Daniel 4; 2 Kings 25:27-30; Jeremiah 52:31-34; Daniel 7

One of the Bible study principles that my cousin Neill taught me is to ask the question, "What does this Scripture reveal about the person of God?"

Daniel 4:34-35, 4:37

 34 At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
       His dominion is an eternal dominion;
       his kingdom endures from generation to generation.

 35 All the peoples of the earth
       are regarded as nothing.
       He does as he pleases
       with the powers of heaven
       and the peoples of the earth.
       No one can hold back his hand
       or say to him: "What have you done?"

37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

From this passage, I am impressed with God's sovereignty.  To borrow from John Frame, this passage shows two of God's three "Lordship attributes" - 1) authority and 2) power.
1) God has the right to control the whole universe because He is the most Supreme being, and He is the Creator.
2) God has the ability to control the whole universe because He is the most Supreme being, and He is the Creator.

Daniel 7:9-10, 7:13-14

 9 "As I looked,
       "thrones were set in place,
       and the Ancient of Days took his seat.
       His clothing was as white as snow;
       the hair of his head was white like wool.
       His throne was flaming with fire,
       and its wheels were all ablaze.

 10 A river of fire was flowing,
       coming out from before him.
       Thousands upon thousands attended him;
       ten thousand times ten thousand stood before him.
       The court was seated,
       and the books were opened.

 13 "In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

From this passage, the Sovereignty of God is reinforced, and I am impressed with God's holiness.  To continue with John Frame's third "Lordship attribute", this passage demonstrates God's 3) presence.
3) a) The perfect moral purity of God's holiness is expressed in the whiteness of His person.
    b) The complete justice of God's holiness is expressed in the fire of His presence.
    c) The relational satisfaction of God's holiness is expressed in the massive attendance of His prestige.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I confess that you are the Lord Most High.  You are the Sovereign Creator of the Universe, and you are the Lord of my life.  You have authored Faith in my heart through the work of Jesus Christ, and you are perfecting me through the presence of your Holy Spirit.  May I bring you glory and honor because you are deserving of everything I can give you.  Lord, I want to give you my life and my devotion.  I love you, Gracious One.  You are most Holy.  Please fill my life with your authority, power, and presence.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment