Monday, September 15, 2008

sovereignty and patience

Esther 9:18-10:3; Ezra 4:6-23; Psalm 105

The attribute of God that I am most impressed with after reading Esther and Psalm 105 is sovereignty.  Yahweh is the creator of the universe, and His sovereign knowledge and control has never diminished.  Fortunately, He is intrinsically good, and His takes care to communicate His good character to us; that is, He LOVES us.  He shows us "agape" love - a steadfast, unfailing, and infinite love.

Psalm 105:

 1 Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name;
       make known among the nations what he has done.

 2 Sing to him, sing praise to him;
       tell of all his wonderful acts.

 3 Glory in his holy name;
       let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.

 4 Look to the LORD and his strength;
       seek his face always.

 5 Remember the wonders he has done,
       his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced, ...

 39 He spread out a cloud as a covering,
       and a fire to give light at night.

 40 They asked, and he brought them quail
       and satisfied them with the bread of heaven.

 41 He opened the rock, and water gushed out;
       like a river it flowed in the desert.

 42 For he remembered his holy promise
       given to his servant Abraham.

 43 He brought out his people with rejoicing,
       his chosen ones with shouts of joy;

 44 he gave them the lands of the nations,
       and they fell heir to what others had toiled for-

 45 that they might keep his precepts
       and observe his laws.
       Praise the LORD.

Our church is embarking today on an eight week challenge of relationships based on the book "Love Dare" featured in the upcoming movie Fireproof.  The attribute of love highlighted in today's challenge is patience.  Indeed, I am challenged to love my wife with "agape" love, and today I will particularly focus on the aspect of patience, but more than that - I want to honor my Heavenly Father by allowing Him to show His love in me and through me, for His glory.

Prayer
Heavenly Father, I praise you because you are sovereign over everything!  There is nothing that is outside of your control.  Thank you for cool, refreshing breeze and the beautiful sunrise this morning that are testimonies of your goodness and love.  Heavenly Father, teach me to delight in your ways and seek your face.  Please keep me from slipping into legalism and self-righteousness; I simply want to delight in who you are.  Please grow in me your patient, agape love.  I pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, who patiently endured the Cross. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment