Wednesday, April 22, 2009

generational empowering

Psalm 112, Proverbs 22

I think these verses go hand-in-hand:

Pr. 22  6 Direct your children onto the right path,
      and when they are older, they will not leave it.

Ps. 112  1 Praise the Lord!   How joyful are those who fear the Lord
      and delight in obeying his commands.
 2 Their children will be successful everywhere;
      an entire generation of godly people will be blessed.

My dad told me several times when I was growing up that his father was a great father, but my dad still wanted to improve and be a better father to me than his father was to him.  This is an opportunity afforded to those who seek the Lord and fear Him, which both my grandfather and father have done.  I feel like my dad did improve generationally, and he has inspired me to try to improve upon his fatherhood - which will be a great challenge.  As the saying goes, "We stand on the shoulders of giants."

Heavenly Father, thank you for a heritage of fearing you.  Thank you for a heritage of genuine fatherhood and commitment to improvement.  Lord, please help me fear you and be joyful in who you are.  May I delight in obeying your commands and teaching my children to love you and seek you.  Lord, let me receive the treasure of fatherhood that my dad has passed on to me, and give me the grace and Holy Spirit power to improve towards your perfect Fatherhood.  I pray that this will please you.  I ask in the name of Jesus Christ, your Son.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment